The problem of remote printingI have been looking for a solution to print out receipt-like stuff remotely, be it online food order or e-commerce shipping request. As a geek person, I also wish it to be cheap enough to use. So far I have not had great success in finding such a product/service.
A few promising candidates are:
Little Printer from BERG
- Expensive. I mean, very expensive.
- Not durable. The construction fits for a hobby project, but not shop floor.
- Need to roll(develop) my own server infrastructure.
- Requires mobile data plan. (Expensive in Canada)
E-print, Cloud Print, Epson, HP, Canon
- Large size. (Don't like a full size laser-jet on the desk.)
- Printing delivery by email, no API/Service for delivery status.
- Maintenance issue. (ink, toner, paper jam)
Google Clould Print
- Can only use under someone's gmail account. Not ideal for large number of deployment.
- Requires computer(or Raspberry Pi).
Seriously, how difficult it is to make a receipt printer that fits my use case without breaking the bank?
- Connects on Lan/Wifi (Free if I already have internet)
- Easy to use API to print things.
- Provide server infrastructure at very low recurring charge. (Just like Twilio)
- And the printer sells for under $100
Please read on...
(I will post updates on my own version of cloud receipt printer as it is being developed)